Thursday 29 June 2017

My thoughts on Pretty Little Liars 'End Game' ♡


CONTAINS SPOILERS OF THE SEASON FINALE

7 years, 7 seasons, 160 episodes. Pretty Little Liars has had me hooked since the summer I finished my GCSE's. With 12 weeks of summer, with no school work, exams or deadlines, I began watching the show. By the end of the summer I was up to date, and since then I've watched every episode upon it coming out. And as yesterday's episode (or Tuesday's if you're in the US) was the very last, the big reveal, I thought I'd share my thoughts. Please don't read any further into this post if you haven't seen the episode yet - it will contain major spoilers.

I'll start off by saying that this was the first episode in months that I've truly thought was a good one. Recently the plots have kind of gone awol in my opinion, and we've been seeing a lot of crazy with a lack of explanations. I was hoping that the finale would live up to my high expectations and luckily it did. The whole two hours were a rollercoaster of emotion and I honestly enjoyed it all. A lot of people have been expressing their distaste, but personally I was happy with it.

I think the main point of criticism has been the Spencer/Toby 'Spoby' storyline and I can see why many fans didn't like it - learning that it was Alex not Spencer who kissed Toby goodbye and had sex with him in the cabin is kind of bitter. However in the end the two of them shared that moment where Spencer recited her favourite poem from the book she had gifted him all the way back when they were together, and for me that moment was better than a kiss, as it had so much more meaning! I assumed afterwards that the intentions of the writers/directors were for us to consider them back together, and I. Marlene King has since confirmed this in an interview, saying that she thinks "They're living in the city and he's building houses for homeless vets, and she's commuting to Rosewood because she's an attorney now working at Hastings & Hastings with her mom. And they're engaged."

I loved that all of the best couples ended up together, and that they all got their happy endings. Aria and Ezra (let's forget that they're ex student and teacher) are married, Hanna and Caleb (aka my all time favourite TV couple) are also married and having a baby, Emily and Alison have their twins and are engaged, and Spencer and Toby are finally together again. It feels like the show finally came full circle, and everything was resolved after God knows how many 'reveals'. We even got reference to the mums escaping the basement, hahaha.

The only thing that I didn't like about the ending was the very 'Gossip Girl' style implication that everything was going to start all over again with Addison, clearly Alison's foil. I think that was a pretty bad attempt at rounding things off - because really how on earth could the exact same situation happen twice, ever, never mind in the same tiny town?

Do you watch PLL? What were your thoughts on the finale?

Maddie x

4 comments:

  1. The ending really annoyed me too - there was honestly no need for it! They could have just ended with Mona and her new dolls house rather than suggesting that exactly the same thing was going to happen all over again

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to get confused easily whilst trying to figure out all the multiple plots and relationships in Pretty Little Liars, and I really wanted to - so I watched all the spoilers and then binge-watched PLL from the very beginning on NetFlix - all seven seasons - AND I AM STILL CONFUSED. Masochist that I am though, I'd love it if they'd have an eighth season and explain everything for me. Is Mary really Spencer's mother? Does Spencer live? Can one of Mona's personalities explain everything to me? Am I really ready for more complicated Rosewood family reunions? I could use a course in PLL for dummies.

    http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should actually write a book called 'PLL for dummies' - it's been that long since I watched the first seasons that I have completely forgotten what happened right at the start! Thanks for reading x

      Delete