Wednesday 1 March 2017

Ash Wednesday | Beginning of Lent ♡




Today is Ash Wednesday and therefore marks the start of the Lent period in the Christian church; 40 days of fasting from something of your choice which in theory allows Christians to become closer to God by turning away from sins. This is where the 'giving up something for Lent' idea comes from, which millions of people do every year. It isn't like me to write about anything religious like this, but, as Lent is actually a period of giving up something that is perhaps bad for you, I thought I'd write about what I've decided to give up this year and why!

I made the decision a few days ago, along with one of my friends, to give up some processed sugar and fizzy drinks, which means no sweets (or percy pigs!) for a whole 40 days - I'm definitely going to struggle with that one - and also no carbonated drinks. In cutting out these two things I'm aiming to become healthier over these 40 days and consume less processed sugar - although I think cutting out processed sugar altogether was slightly too much for me to handle, especially when I'm trying to do A Level coursework and revision; nothing gets me through a session of hard work like a good chocolate fix...

In the Catholic church (and I think a few other denominations, with the exception of the Church of England) today is marked by receiving ashes on the forehead in the form of a cross to represent that we all commit sins and that throughout Lent we try to reduce this because one day we will all be returned to ashes (nothing like brightening your day with the reminder you're going to die). We had our service at school today, so as of now I am officially sweet and fizzy drink free for the next 40 days... Wish me luck!

Are you giving anything up for Lent?

Maddie x

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Giving up two things! Now that is brave. I hope you'll do it though and I have a feeling you will if you have supportive friends.

    xoxo
    J
    The Crown Wings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully I'll see it through! xx

      Delete
  2. Good Luck!! It is such a good think to do.

    http://ohduckydarling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping to see it through to Easter!

      Delete